Humanists, Atheists, Agnostics and the Non-Religious in general are no less affected by discrimination based on ones beliefs or worldview than the religious.
However, because they are not part of the formal religions these rights often become more neglected and endangered. This also means the non-religious often face special problems and human rights abuses.
If you have any problems please feel free to read over the What Are Your Rights? section of this site. It covers your rights under the Freedom of Religion and Belief. Below are some special problems many of the non-religious face.
Who Does What
The SR will investigate human rights abuses and report them to the UN Human Rights Council. Though they communicate with governments where abuses are taking place they act independently of any country.
If you have a human rights abuse to report, you must to send it to the Special Rapporteur for Freedom for Freedom of Religion and Belief.
Instructions for reporting abuses are below.
What Can You Report?
The UN Human Rights Council guarantees a variety of rights concerning Freedom of Religion and Belief in resolution 6/37 of 2007. Refer to the What are Your Rights? section for a further discussion of your rights as a non-believer and the Further Resources section for this and other documents.
Governments must include legislative guarantees of these freedoms and effective remedies of violations. They also are encouraged to provide education that promote tolerance and respect. These policies must be in line with international human rights law.
This includes the right:
1) To change or renounce your religion.
2) Of expression and to blaspheme against a religion.
3) To provide moral education for your children.
4) To print and disseminate relevant publications.
5) From coercion of religion or belief.
6) To life, liberty and security from discrimination.
Fill Out This Form:
Fill out the form and any questions you have and send it to the Special Rapporteur, contact information below.
– Please fill out everything you can. The Special Rapporteur will use this to investigate and then report on your claim.
– The forms above are only guidelines. Reports of abuses do not need to be filled out exactly according to them.
– Please mark “CONFIDENTIAL” on the form if you would like any part to remain so.
– Attach additional pages if you have any information you would like to add that won’t fit in the space provided.
– Contact the Special Rapporteur with any other questions you have via the information below.
Send It To:
Special Rapporteur on freedom of religion or belief
c/o Office Of the High Commissioner for Human Rights
United Nations at Geneva
8-14 Avenue de la Paix
1211 Geneva 10, Switzerland
Fax: (+41 22) 917 90 06
E-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
(then please include in the subject box: Special Rapporteur on freedom of religion or belief)